Here is the leader comment


Double up for unbeaten neighbours

Reporter: Phil Cannings Photographer

Contact: 01635 886642

HUNGERFORD AND THATCHAM retain the only unbeaten records in Division One South and West of the Evo Stik League South after their 3-1 wins on Saturday.
Hungerford hold top spot and Thatcham fifth with a game in hand as they go into midfield games, Hungerford at top six side Cinderford Town on Tuesday night and Thatcham at home to bottom four Stourport Swifts on Wednesday.
Thatcham accounted for bottom side Bridgwater Town 3-1 in Somerset on Saturday. They were a goal up in only 56 seconds when Shane Kingston won a corner against his former club and he and Callum Willmoth worked the cross for James Clark to convert from close range.
Thatcham had reserve team goalkeeper Steve Howe on duty, and he and his defenders were still getting to grips with each other when Bridgwater equalised five minutes later, Rob Sage being handed a simple turn-in from a dozen yards out.
Kingston missed a good heading chance but was then involved in a delightful goal, finding Willmoth and set up Clark to go through and slip the ball past goalkeeper Ryan Lewis. Sean Cook had a chance before the break, kept out by Lewis' legs, and Sage went into the book for a crude lunge at Kingston before Thatcham struck again midway through the second period.
Again Willmoth was instrumental, driving through before slipping the ball to Cook to side home. Thatcham created a spate of chances to boost their goals difference in the final 15 minutes but ended as comfortable winners.
HUNGERFORD ungerford needed an injury time goal from Luke Hopper to make sure of the points in their home game with a Yate Town side still seeking its first league win of the season.
Yate lost Mark Badman to a head injury early on before Hungerford went ahead when Hopper sent in Jamie Gosling through to beat goalkeeper Josh Dempsey, only for Yate to level the scores before the half-hour when defender Robin Nicholls got forward to head home.
Hungerford regained the lead inside the hour when Youssef Bamba's cross was converted superbly by Dean Stow, but Yate staged a late rally and were only caught out three minutes into stoppage time when Hopper broke to beat Dempsey at the second attempt.

Don't forget to read the Newbury Weekly News — Berkshire's largest–selling local newspaper — out each Thursday morning.


Add your thoughts.

The comments have not been moderated.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of or publishers Newbury News Limited.

Comments are closed.


To post a comment you must login.

Forgot your password?

Register for this site

By registering you will be able to to post comments on news stories. Simply choose a username and enter your email address and we'll send you a password to login to the site.

Lose something?

Enter your username or email to reset your password.

This site uses cookies. Find out more about this site’s cookies.