Infant school closed in 1985.
Pictured are children from Eastfields County Infant School, with Head teacher Mrs Rita Smart, in June 1982.
Much of the original school building in Station Road was destroyed when it was hit by a bomb in February 1943, during the Second World War, which killed three children and the caretaker’s wife. The building, opened in 1909, which had originally housed the Senior Council School, was never rebuilt – only a single storey remained. During the 1940s it admitted both infants and older children, but in 1951 became Eastfields County Infant School. It closed in July 1985 and amalgamated with St John’s CofE Infant School (previously near the St John’s roundabout end of Old Newtown Road) into a new school building further along Old Newtown Road at the junction with Paddock Road.
In 1990 the Station Road site became home to St Nicolas Junior School, which moved there from its Victorian premises in Enborne Road, to a brand new school building.”