go

Homes evacuated in fire drama

Electrical fault triggers blaze

John Garvey

Reporter:

John Garvey

Email:

john.garvey@newburynews.co.uk

Contact:

Mobile

fire engine_newbury

Residents were evacuated after a fire at a shopping parade in Tilehurst last night (Saturday).

The fire is thought to have been started by an electrical fault in air conditioning unit in one of the stores in Park Lane at about 9.50pm.

It then spread to the rear of the building, setting fire to a row of trees.

Fire fighters from Dee Road Fire Station Whitely Wood Fire Station tackled the blaze and evacuated the flats above the shops as a precaution.

Three fire crew doused the burning trees and put out the blaze in about 30 minutes.

The shops, in flats above and neighbouring properties had to be evacuated while fire crews fought the blaze.

Firefighters brought the blaze under control within 45 minutes.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

All Districts

Bride's delight as dress is discovered after almost three decades
All Districts

Bride's delight as dress is discovered after almost three decades

Hungerford man tracks down couple after finding wedding treasure trove

 
Fury over plans to close Hungerford Library
News

Town council hears fears that library report is being watered down

But district council insists it only sought 'clarification';

 
Hampshire

Tadley councillor joins waste war fracas

1comment

 
Thatcham

'Antenatal' group still in touch - 18 years on 

 
News

Major inquiry into recent and historic Thatcham sex abuse widened