go

Homes evacuated in fire drama

Electrical fault triggers blaze

John Garvey

Reporter:

John Garvey

Contact:

Mobile

fire engine_newbury

Residents were evacuated after a fire at a shopping parade in Tilehurst last night (Saturday).

The fire is thought to have been started by an electrical fault in air conditioning unit in one of the stores in Park Lane at about 9.50pm.

It then spread to the rear of the building, setting fire to a row of trees.

Fire fighters from Dee Road Fire Station Whitely Wood Fire Station tackled the blaze and evacuated the flats above the shops as a precaution.

Three fire crew doused the burning trees and put out the blaze in about 30 minutes.

The shops, in flats above and neighbouring properties had to be evacuated while fire crews fought the blaze.

Firefighters brought the blaze under control within 45 minutes.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

All Districts

Work on next Thatcham flood basin begins 10 years after the floods
News

Work on next Thatcham flood basin begins 10 years after the floods

Next phase of defence scheme underway to protect houses and businesses

2comments

 
One way in and out for 495 Thatcham homes site
News

'Very strong message' to developers after Thatcham appeals turned down

Secretary of state supports council's plan, says housing councillor

14comments

 
News

Volunteers pack Buddy Bags for children

 
News

Third time unlucky for Crookham pub plans

 
News

Second World War hut salvaged from Thatcham garden

2comments