go

Kennet Centre reopens following electrical fire

Shoppers and staff evacuated after fire broke out just before 10am this morning

John Herring

Reporter:

John Herring

Contact:

01635 886633

Fire; firefighters; fire engine

The Kennet Centre has now reopened after staff and shoppers were evacuated this morning due to a fire.

Firefighters from Newbury and Whitley Wood were called to the shopping centre at 9.42am (Friday) following reports of a fire in the roof space of the 99p shop.

Crews extinguished the fire, which had been caused by an electrical fault.

The centre has now reopened however the 99p shop is still closed.

Shopping Centre manager Mag Williams said: "At around 9:43 this morning smoke was reported in one of our stores.

"We got everyone out of the centre immediately and the fire service were at the scene within five minutes.

"We have very good emergency procedures in place and they all went perfectly.

"Unfortunately the 99p store is still closed until further notice but the rest of the shopping centre is fine."

No-one is believed to have been injured in the incident.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

News

Court
News

Female door staff attacked after champagne binge

Victim cried out in pain, court told

 
Hermitage butchers to close after serving village for more than 100 years
News

Hermitage butchers to close after serving village for more than 100 years

Lack of footfall because of supermarkets to blame, says owner

 
News

Children can make a splash at new puddle jumping event

1comment

 
News

Plans to offer accommodation at Donnington pub are withdrawn

 
News

Jackdaw rescue in Shaw

2comments