go

Newbury Tesco's evacuated after electrical fire

Three fire engines called to scene

Jane Meredith

Reporter:

Jane Meredith

Contact:

01635 886637

trolley_1

A Newbury branch of Tesco's was evacuated earlier this morning (Thurs) after an electrical fire which spread to a refrigerator room.

Three fire engines, including two from Newbury and a third from Kingsclere, were called at 6.30am to Tesco's in London Road, where the fire was discovered to be out on arrival and staff evacuated from the store.

No-one was hurt but the store's warehouse was smoke logged.

Firefighters isolated electrics, then used cutting equipment to remove part of the panelling from the refrigerator room, to ensure  the fire was not travelling unseen and hadn't therefore spread, before leaving the scene at 7.30am.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

News

New vicar welcomed at centuries old Silchester church
Hampshire

New vicar welcomed at centuries old Silchester church

Bishop of Basingstoke at licensing

 
Fair Close Day Centre launches fundraising campaign
News

Fair Close Day Centre launches fundraising campaign

Centre for the elderly hopes to reach £50,000 target by the end of the year

 
News

New housing scheme for Theale submitted

 
News

Firefighters called to chimney fire at Upper Woolhampton school

 
News

Newbury town centre road re-opened after car fire