go

Ufton Nervet bridge plans approved

Councillors vote in favour of replacing notorious level crossing

Dan Cooper

Reporter:

Dan Cooper

Email:

dan.cooper@newburynews.co.uk

Contact:

01635 886632

43-2814E Ufton nervet crossing

THE notorious half-barrier level crossing at Ufton Nervet will be replaced with a bridge after West Berkshire councillors unanimously voted in favour of the plans last night (Weds).

There have been calls to improve safety at the site since a fatal crash on November 6, 2004, in which seven people died and more than 120 were injured.

Since then, another four people have lost their lives at the crossing, taking the number of fatalities to eleven in the past eleven years.

On the eve of the 10-year anniversary of the 2004 crash, Network Rail announced it had found the £8m to £10m required to build a bridge.

Voting in favour of the plans at an eastern area planning meeting last night, councillor Alan Law (Con, Basildon) said the bridge had been a "long time coming".

At the meeting a representative from Network Rail, Dan Collins, said that work would start in early 2016 and that it should be opened by the end of next year.

For the full story, see next week's Newbury Weekly News.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

News

Newbury FC sign lease extension to avoid eviction
News

Newbury FC sign lease extension to avoid eviction

Football club perform U-turn after council threatens legal action

 
Aldermaston man charged following affray in Thatcham
News

Aldermaston man charged with affray following incident in Thatcham

Man bailed after altercation earlier this year

 
News

Woman trapped in A34 collision just south of Chieveley

 
Hampshire

Tributes paid to late Tadley borough councillor

 
News

Man's lucky escape on A34 after car crashes into tree