go

People evacuated after major fire destroys Thatcham home

Three people escape unhurt but pet cat killed in blaze

Dan Cooper

Reporter:

Dan Cooper

Contact:

01635 886632

fire engine_newbury

FIREFIGHTERS spent two hours tackling a major house fire in Thatcham last night (Fri) in which three people had to be evacuated from the property.

A pet cat died in the blaze, which broke out at the house in Marsh Road at around 10pm.

The fire was thought to have started when a candle which was left unattended in an upstairs bedroom set alight to curtains.

Bob Mitchell, watch manager at Newbury Fire Station, said that the house had been "gutted" by the fire, adding that the house was was now "unhabitable".

He confirmed that three people escaped unhurt and were staying with friends, but that a pet cat died as a result of the fire.

Two fire crews from Newbury attended the scene and used hose reels to eventually extinguish the blaze.

Mr Mitchell warned people about the dangers of leaving candles unattended, advising people to be careful with holders, check fire alarms and not to put candles near anything which could set alight. 

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

News

Next round of A339 roadworks to begin on Monday
News

Next round of A339 roadworks through Newbury to begin on Monday

Series of lane and overnight road closures scheduled until mid-October

4comments

 
Twin town's vane gift
News

Twin town's vane gift

A copy of the weather vane at the top of St Mary's Church was presented to mayor of Cormicy

 
News

Real ales and cider on offer at Rowbarge festival

 
News

Newbury man attacked for protecting his friend in a wheelchair recounts ordeal

 
News

Businesses do the rounders for hospital appeal