go

Woman rescued from Newbury flat fire

93-year-old taken to hospital

John Herring

Reporter:

John Herring

Contact:

01635 886633

Woman rescued from Newbury flat fire

A 93-year-old woman was rescued from a burning flat yesterday (Sunday).

Firefighters from Newbury and Kingsclere were called to Oddfellows Road, Newbury at 4.47pm. 

Watch manager at Newbury Fire Station, Steve Leonard, said that firefighters treated the lady at the scene until an ambulance arrived. 

He added that she was taken to hospital with smoke inhalation. 

Mr Leonard said there was a lot of smoke in the flat, with four firefighters wearing breathing masks going into the smoke logged room.

He said that an accidental kitchen fire had been the cause of the blaze.

He advised people to not fight fires themselves; instead focusing on exiting the building safely. 

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

News

Firefighters called to chimney fire at Upper Woolhampton school
News

Firefighters called to chimney fire at Upper Woolhampton school

Further Newbury call to remove loose tiles from roof of flats

 
Newbury town centre road re-opened after car fire
News

Newbury town centre road re-opened after car fire

Minor blaze due to mechanical fault

 
News

New delivery franchise launches in Newbury and Thatcham

 
News

Calls for better recycling in West Berkshire

 
News

Months of delays added to West Berkshire waste wars resolution

2comments