go

Newbury porch destroyed in fire

Burning paper accidentally placed in bin

John Herring

Reporter:

John Herring

Contact:

01635 886633

49-0106p-Young-Firefighters

A porch was completely destroyed after a fire broke out at a Newbury property.

Firefighters from Newbury Fire Station were called to the house in Culver Road at 11am on Saturday.

Watch manager Richard Young said that the fire started after an elderly gentleman accidentally placed a burning piece of paper in his recycling bin.

Mr Young said that the man escaped unharmed.

He said that the property had a working smoke alarm but was placed at the top of the stairs.

He advised that properties should have alarms on each floor, in order for fires to be detected faster. 

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

News

Two people trapped in collapsing Hungerford Tesco Superstore
Home

Two people trapped in collapsing Hungerford Tesco Superstore

Three vehicles involved in collision with supermarket building

 
Police car and van involved in Wash Common collision
News

Police car and van involved in Wash Common collision

Police car crashes through garden wall

1comment

 
News

Reading man arrested after lorry collision M4 westbound Newbury to Hungerford

5comments

 
News

In this week's Newbury Weekly News......

 
News

Christmas spirit arrives at West Berkshire Council

1comment