go

Firefighters rescue dog from smoke-logged Tilehurst kitchen

Alarm raised by passer-by who smelt smoke

Jane Meredith

Reporter:

Jane Meredith

Contact:

01635 886637

15-3306c-swan-fire

FIREFIGHTERS rescued a dog from the smoke-filled kitchen of a Tilehurst house this morning (Thursday).

Two pumps were called at 9.25am from Dee Road Fire Station, in Tilehurst, to a kitchen fire at a detached house, in Bradwell Road, alerted by a passer-by, who heard the smoke alarm and also smelt smoke.

No-one was in, therefore firefighters had to break down the door to gain entry, before extinguishing the fire, caused by a pan left on the cooker.

A dog was rescued from the kitchen, before being taken to a nearby vets to be checked over, but was not injured.

Firefighters thought the dog, believed to have been a Staffordshire Bull Terrier,  had not suffered smoke inhalation due to its small size, which meant it therefore remained below the smoke layer.

The kitchen was smoke damaged.

Firefighters left the scene at around 11am.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

News

Hi-tech thieves target motorists at Berkshire service stations
News

Hi-tech thieves target motorists at Berkshire service stations

Drivers warned to manually check vehicle doors are locked following thefts at Chieveley services

1comment

 
Lib Dems victorious in Greenham by-election
News

Lib Dems victorious in Greenham by-election

Candidates elected on just over 10% turn out

2comments

 
News

Racecourse to hold talks with Hennessy over extending sponsorship

 
News

Plans for late-night alcohol delivery service withdrawn at the last minute

4comments

 
News

Kennet School pupils are champion citizens