go

Tilehurst family evacuates smoke-logged home

Flames leaping from chimney in blaze

Jane Meredith

Reporter:

Jane Meredith

Contact:

01635 886637

chimney smoke

A TILEHURST family were forced to evacuate their home yesterday (Thursday) evening, due to a chimney fire.

One pump was called at 6.15pm  from Dee Road Fire Station, Tilehurst, to a large house in Oakdale Close.

Firefighters discovered flames and smoke issuing from the chimney.

The house was smoke-logged and the occupying family had self evacuated.

No-one was hurt.

Firefighters used specialist chimney equipment to extinguish the blaze, before leaving the scene at 7.30pm.

Firefighters afterwards issued a reminder to ensure smoke alarms were installed in properties and that existing smoke alarms – including batteries – were working, as a safety measure, whilst chimneys above open fires should be regularly swept.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

News

Residents group fights plans for traveller site
News

Residents group fights plans for traveller site

Villagers raise £12,000 to combat building of 13 permanent plots in Silchester

 
West Berkshire residents are more likely to be frequent drinkers
News

West Berkshire residents are more likely to be frequent drinkers

Public Health England reveals 23 per cent of drinkers in West Berkshire considered ‘at risk’

 
News

Greenham Parish Council to apply for £95,000 Control Tower loan

2comments

 
News

Francesca completes Spanish pilgrimage epilepsy fundraiser

 
News

Woman reunited with missing cat after 11 months

1comment