go

Workman prevents fire spreading through Midgham property

Treated at scene for smoke inhalation

Jane Meredith

Reporter:

Jane Meredith

Contact:

01635 886637

49-0106p-Young-Firefighters

FIREFIGHTERS have struck a cautionary note over the swift and brave actions of a workman, which prevented a Midgham fire from spreading throughout the property this afternoon (Tues).

Two pumps were called from Newbury Fire Station at 2.30pm to a fire in the conservatory of a detached house in Cox's Lane, where electrical work was being carried out.

Firefighters discovered the fire extinguished on arrival, after one of around five workmen at the scene entered the smoke-logged house and conservatory with a garden hose and put the fire out.

The workman was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.

Firefighters afterwards said the workman's actions were courageous, but advised it best to stay out of a property in such circumstances and await the arrival of the fire service.

The cause was put down to an electric fire lighter which caught a wicker chair alight, due to a malfunction.

No-one other than the workmen were in the property at the time, with no-one else hurt.

Firefighters left the scene at 4pm. 

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

News

Aldermaston photographer captures image of new high speed train
News

Aldermaston photographer captures image of new high speed train

Rail enthusiast spots first train powering along Newbury line

1comment

 
Outrage as baby hedgehogs used as footballs in Newbury
News

Outrage as baby hedgehogs used as footballs in Newbury

Hoglet dies following "staggering act of cruelty"

1comment

 
News

Newbury man smashes car window in drunken rage

 
News

Hi-tech thieves target motorists at Berkshire service stations

1comment

 
News

Lib Dems victorious in Greenham by-election

4comments