go

John Herring

Reporter:

John Herring

Email:

john.herring@newburynews.co.uk

03-3113A Roadworks Sign

THERE was gridlock during the commute to Newbury this morning (Thursday).

Temporary traffic lights on the A4 close to the Swan pub saw traffic queuing more than 2 miles back through Thatcham.

Drivers reported taking 40 minutes to drive from Thatcham to Newbury.

One motorist said it had taken 10 minutes to drive a mile through Thatcham.

The temporary lights have been installed by Thames Water in order to carry out emergency repairs to a sunken manhole cover.

A spokeswoman for West Berkshire Council said that the authority had asked Thames Water to operate the lights manually to try and ease the ongoing congestion.

There were further delays this morning following an accident on the A339 near Headley Tyres.

A spokeswoman for the South Central Ambulance Service, Michelle Archer, said that crews were called at 7.34am to reports that a car had collided with a parked lorry.

Paramedics assessed one person at the scene for minor injuries but they did not require hospital treatment.

• boris

10/06/2016 - 15:03

Lorries buses salesman essential services yes but people will not use public transport they have an obsession with their car even though it costs a fortune to park in newbury and if you walk into newbury everyday during rush hour its one person in a car And as the website or the nwn has said parking will soon be full up

• Sausages

10/06/2016 - 11:11

Isn't there a train line between Newbury and Thatcham?

• APG123

10/06/2016 - 12:12

..and what about sales consultants like myself who are consistently moving from county to county along the A4 who have to use a company car, as otherwise travelling by train comes out of my own pocket? some people NEED their cars for their jobs and can be travelling around the county all day... if you can provide a resolution for this I'm all ears..

• APG123

10/06/2016 - 12:12

• APG123

10/06/2016 - 12:12

• APG123

10/06/2016 - 12:12

• grumpy

09/06/2016 - 15:03

outrageous, this has happened before... as I am sure it will again

• boris

09/06/2016 - 14:02

Ok my last comment a bit harsh .? Sorry don't think so this is a main thoroughfare you would think they would do it as quick as possible do not start a job if you do not have the materials equipment etc to finish it but to leave it with just traffic lights and nobody working no wonder we are p""""""d off

Show more comments

News

10-1714B A339 traffic
News

Car veers off carriageway south of Newbury

Woman driver's lucky escape

Search is on for Newbury's worst sights
News

Search is on for Newbury's worst view

Prize for winning entry in country-wide competition

News

Child murder suspect arrested 'in Newbury area'

News