Waste recycling permit scheme introduced next month
West Berkshire residents will need free permit to access Newbury and Padworth centres
A NEW scheme which will ban Hampshire residents from using West Berkshire recycling facilities will come into effect next month.
The scheme will require West Berkshire residents to have a permit to access the Newbury and Padworth recycling centres from September 26.
West Berkshire Council says it is introducing the scheme so that taxpayers’ do not have to pay for waste brought to the district from elsewhere.
Previously, Hampshire County Council paid £200,000 a year to allow its residents to use West Berkshire facilities but stopped the funding earlier this year.
Hampshire residents currently account for around 40 per cent of waste taken to Padworth and 20 per cent taken to the Newtown Road Recycling Centre in Newbury.
The plans have angered residents in north Hampshire who, rather than a short journey across the boundary, face up to a 30-mile round trip to Basingstoke or Andover to dispose of their waste.
West Berkshire Council’s portfolio holder for Waste, Marcus Franks, said: “It is with regret we make this decision, it is not what we wanted but we haven’t had much of a choice.”
A permit will be posted to every household across the district in the coming weeks and the council says it must be clearly displayed in order to enter the recycling centres.
Each household will receive a single permit that can be used in domestic vehicles. Residents who only own a commercial-type vehicle will be able to apply online for a permit.
The council wants to expand the current facilities at Padworth, but says it has no plans to increase capacity at the Newbury recycling centre.
For the full story and reaction, see next week’s Newbury Weekly News.