Will The Great British Bake Off stay at Welford Park?

Uncertainty over whether programme will still be filmed in West Berkshire when it moves to Channel 4

Dan Cooper


Dan Cooper


01635 886632

Will The Great British Bake Off stay at Welford Park?

IT remains unclear whether The Great British Bake Off will continue to be filmed at Welford Park when the popular prime-time programme makes the controversial move from BBC One to Channel 4 next year.

For the past three years, the iconic white marquee – now synonymous with the hit show – has been situated in the picturesque grounds of the private estate near Newbury.

But the Lord Lieutenant for the Royal County of Berkshire, James Puxley, who lives at Welford Park with his wife Deborah, said that he has heard nothing about the plans for next year.

Channel 4 has paid a reported £75m to secure the rights to Britain’s most popular show, which has weekly viewing figures of around 13m, for the next three years.

The news sparked outrage among some viewers and there has already been speculation that the BBC will create a new baking show of its own to rival Channel 4’s offering.

Speaking to the Newbury Weekly News on Tuesday, Mr Puxley said: “The filming for this year was all finished in June, but we haven’t heard anything about what will happen next year. I haven’t really got anything to say about the current situation, which is not for us to decide. We do love having them here and they enjoy being here, so we’ll have to see what happens.”

Even if The Great British Bake Off does stays at Welford Park, Mary Berry probably won’t be, after she pledged her loyalty to the BBC by announcing she would not be going to Channel 4.

Mrs Puxley has previously revealed that Mary Berry enjoys looking around the gardens of the estate, which are opened up to the public every year to see its stunning snowdrops display.  

The Great British Bake Off presenters Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins also said they would “not be going with the dough” when the show moves.

The NWN contacted Love Productions for a comment, but the company had not responsed before the paper went to press.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000


Council needs to find a further £22.4m in savings by 2020

Council has to find £22.4m savings by 2020

More council cuts to public services on the way and all options being considered


Fancy taking part in a spooky Hallowe'en hunt?

Fancy taking part in a spooky Hallowe'en hunt?

People being invited to take part in event to win prizes


Newbury charity boosted by car show funds

All Districts

Hungerford Town Council backs Prosperous Home Farm build



IKEA death under investigation