go

Westminster Blog: Snap election

Mp Richard Benyon on the forthcoming June 8 General Election

Richard Benyon

Reporter:

Richard Benyon

Westminster Blog: Snap election

Well I didn’t see that coming. But I applaud the Prime Minister for calling an election. I understand her desire to have her own mandate for the coming years.

In addition, there is a convention in Parliament that prevents the unelected House of Lords from voting down legislation if it is in a party’s manifesto. This will be crucial for the Prime Minister with all the measures she will be wanting to take through Parliament in the coming years.

Brexit will be a major part of the election. A Conservative Government will take forward the wishes of the majority in last year’s referendum.

As someone who voted remain and has always advocated a close relationship between the UK and EU, I accept the result of the referendum. I therefore strongly support the Prime Minister's determination to secure a negotiated agreement for the UK in terms of our leaving the EU and for forging a new trading arrangement for the future providing certainty for business, migration rights and movement issues.

I believe the people of West Berkshire will also benefit from a close continuing security, intelligence and defence relationship with a strong and prosperous EU. I will work to encourage the building of new links between us and our closest neighbours. In the coming months and years I hope to be in Parliament pushing for a Brexit that works for businesses and those who work for them.

In this election I also look forward to talking about my past record and my priorities for the future. I have been part of plans that could see rough sleeping almost eradicated in West Berkshire. This is a goal we should all sign up to. I have also committed myself to making sure that the 2017 Year of Mental Health is successful in bringing real change to how we care for and treat those who suffer from mental illness.

Some people have flattered me by asking if I was “in on” the decision to call an election. The answer is an emphatic no. Along with most people it came as a complete surprise.

As it was announced I was negotiating huge crowds with my children at Legoland. Try having a conversation with your campaign manager whilst sitting in a pirate ship with screaming children around you. Whatever the election throws at me it will be easier than that.

• NWNThatcham

25/04/2017 - 22:10

Benyon is like Jekyll and Hyde. In the NWN he claims to be Dr Jekyll and hold the moral high ground. You then look at his voting record and My Hyde appears. He has voted against support of child refugees; for welfare and disability benefit cuts, voted against EU citizens maintaining their rights, increased tuition fees, cut support for jobs for young people and cut housing benefits. On the plus side, he voted against tax increases for those on salaries over £150,000 and against a tax on banker's bonus or on large homes. Benyon speaks for the super wealthy only. How he can claim to represent the majority of Newbury is a mystery.

25/04/2017 - 11:11

No, please leave the blog as it gives another opportunity to make clear what sort of man Benyon is and the vicious political party that he belongs to. Benyon makes reference to rough sleeping and mental health, but at the same time he votes AGAINST an amendment to the Housing and Planning bill designed to ensure that all rented accommodation is safe and fit for human habitation. A homeless person who is likely to suffer from a myriad of other issues cannot rely on the Tory party to protect them against rogue landlords when finally they are housed. This is from a man with a personal wealth of £110million and a list of rental properties as long as your arm. Also between 2010 and 2015, mental health trusts suffered a real terms cut of 8.25% losing £598million a year. 100 people a day with a mental health diagnosis are sanctioned by the DWP. Why anyone with a conscience votes for the Conservatives and in particular for Benyon, is beyond me.

• Nomorelies

25/04/2017 - 12:12

All parties should be scrutenised, surely!?

25/04/2017 - 15:03

All parties should be scrutinised, but this does not necessarily mean side by side by NWN - I don't think the NWN claims to be apolitical. So since it is only Benyon that has got a blog here lets focus on his and his party's record. If you want more repugnant policies from a party focused solely on benefiting the elite then continue to vote for Benyon. But if you think rented accommodation should be for for human habitation or that children need teachers or the elderly need social care or sick people need nurses then vote for the Lib Dems in Newbury.

SimonKirby

25/04/2017 - 19:07

Vote Lib Dem? For sure, it's the Tory government that sold us this austerity lie, and it was Richard Benyon's sleeping on the job that left West Berkshire Council with such a miserable grant settlement from central government, but the Lib Dems locally have blown what little public money there is on failed vanity projects and a slap-up banquet for their mayor. If it's public services you want then vote Labour.

• Nomorelies

25/04/2017 - 11:11

I am unhappy to read this as it is not appropriate for the NWN to allow party political propaganda to be rolled out in a weekly regular column The only situation this would be acceptable would be if the Greens, labour etc are given an equivalent column in the run up to a general or local election With kind greetings, Felix Brunner

• JonnyRoberts87

25/04/2017 - 10:10

Entirely inappropriate for Newbury Weekly News to continue this blog now the election has been called. Either publicly endorse Benyon or cut the column.

• pops50

25/04/2017 - 14:02

what about freedom of the press Jonny you have the same chance to write a letter to the NWN promoting the views of Mr Corbyn

Home

Three young men seriously injured in Woolhampton crash
News

Three young men seriously injured in Woolhampton crash

Seven of nine people injured in two-car collision remain in hospital

3comments

Nine people injured in collision
All Districts

Nine people injured in collision

Bath Road accident hospitalises six

News

Litter louts are spoiling village

1comment

News

Council blocks Newbury business park flat plans

News

Malasian restaurant looks to set to WAU the town

1comment