go

Importance of smoke alarms highlighted after close call

Newbury firefighters urge residents to check smoke alarms after kitchen fire

Chris Ord

Reporter:

Chris Ord

Contact:

01635 886639

fireenginenobrigade_sz

FIREFIGHTERS are urging residents to check they have working smoke alarms after a fire broke out at a flat in Newbury on Friday night (January 8).

Fire crews were called to the incident at Lambourn Court, just off Walton Way in Newbury, when a microwave caught fire.

Watch manager at Newbury fire station Richard Young said the incident could have been much worse had the flat's smoke alarms not warned the two occupiers of the flat.

He said: "We were called to the incident at around 10.30pm last night.

"Food had been left in the microwave for too long causing a small fire to break out in the kitchen.

"It definitely could have been much worse as the two people in the flat were only made aware of the fire by the smoke alarm.

"We would like to remind residents of the importance of having a working smoke alarm in their property and to test it regularly."

The occupiers of the flat were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation while firefighters using breathing apparatus ventilated the property.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

News

Jury convicts West Berkshire school teacher of raping young boy pupil
News

Jury convicts West Berkshire school teacher of raping young pupil

Child under 12 was abused over a two-year period

 
36-0812F Thatcham Rail Crossing
Thatcham

Scheme to reduce congestion at Thatcham level crossing being explored

It's not a bridge.....

 
Hampshire

East Woodhay woman to mark 60th birthday rowing around Britain 

 
News

Newbury Building Society presents breast cancer charity cheque

 
News

Arthur Daley's coat and trilby fetch £12,000 at Newbury auction

1comment