Crusaders sake off a right Mare

Second half comeback seals move back into play-off spots

Malcolm Howe


Malcolm Howe



Crusaders sake off a right  Mare

Stefan Brown - penalty winner came with an injury

Hungerford Town 2 Weston-Super-Mare 1

ON a day when one club was surviving a winding up order in the High Court, Crusaders survived a winding up order on their promotion hopes to hop back into the Vanarama National League South’s top five.

For more than an hour, Hungerford laboured to get out second-best gear as Weston continued to belie their woeful home record when on the road, and had Crusaders struggling to look the part.

In fact, theirs was a bit part as the visitors looked far more energetic and threatening, taking the lead after eight minutes when Bradley Ash hooked home Dayle Grubb’s long throw.

Ash had two more first half chances when Hungerford’s best – and only real – effort of the half was a Nat Jarvis shot that was pushed out by Luke Purnell 10 minutes before the break.

Ash missed a heading chance early in the second half before Hungerford, who had thrown on all three substitutes, pulled level after 67 minutes when Ian Herring took his turn to aim a missile into the box, and Jon Boardman nodded it on for Matt Day to blast home.

Now with something to chase, Hungerford notched the winner five minutes later when Tom Meechan was bundled over in the box and Stefan Brown scored from the spot to prove once again that a decisive verdict can hinge on hard work and a bit of fortune.

Hungerford Town: Ward; Tyler, Boardman, Day, Jones; Clark, Herring, Rees (Brown 56), O’Brien; Jarvis (Meechan 56), Goodger (Bentley 56). Subs: Thomas, Soares.

Weston-Super-Mare: Purnell; Pope, Menayese, Humphries, Greenslade; Lee, Cane, Baldwin, Grubb; Ash (Chamberlain 78), Reid (Hill 78). Subs: Kington, Chemal, Laird.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000


Four sent off in the second battle of Newbury and Highmoor Ibis

Four sent off in the second battle of Newbury and Highmoor Ibis

Referee calls a halt as league match ends in chaos

Ton held in last home game of the season home

Town held in last home game of the season home

George at the double as Tadley Calleva win again


Deadlock as Crusaders settle for a point


Blues hammering on the door



Hallahan hope for Tadley trip to Totton