Lights switch on in Newbury, vegan market, Christmas markets and morris dancing – what to do and where to go this weekend in West Berkshire and North Hampshire
A round up of events across the region this weekend for all the family.
• Candlelit Winter Market, Hampstead Norreys Community Shop, 3.30pm-7.30pm. More than 40 different stalls, with local crafts and gifts as well as food. Free entry, everyone welcome.
• Newbury Christmas Lights Switch on. A day-long festival, including more than 20 free workshops and extra entertainment. Visitors can enjoy a full programme of free festive activities at select venues across the town centre. More information here.
• Family Christmas Singing Workshop, Newbury Town Hall, 2pm-3pm. Vox Thrive are running a singing workshop for all the family to learn a festive favourite to be included in a very special performance as part of Newbury Christmas Lights switch-on. No previous experience or singing ability necessary, just come and have some fun.
• Quiz & Pasty evening, Portal Hall, Burghclere, 6.30pm. Fun evening of quizzing. Up to six in a team. Prizes, bar, raffle and pasty supper. £6 per person. All proceeds to Burghclere church maintenance. Tickets burghclere.church/quiz
• Ashmore Green WI Craft Fair, The Acland Hall, Cold Ash, 10am-3pm. Craft tables, teas, cakes and raffle. Raising money for Newbury Soup Kitchen. £1 entry.
• Armallegan Border Morris, dance out at The Bell, Aldworth, 12.30pm-2pm.
• Jumble Sale, Padworth Village Hall in aid of The Wessex Cancer Trust, 2pm. To be held in car park if weather permits, otherwise inside the hall.
• Growing2gether Christmas Fayre, Cottismore Park, Newbury Road, Kingsclere, 10am-3pm. Variety of stalls from local independent traders.
• Sustainable Living Christmas Market, Catholic Hall, Thatcham, 10.30am-1pm.
• Coles Christmas Market, Arlington Arts Centre, 2pm-4pm. Organised by Coles Diner: The Youth Club.
• Vegan Market, Market Place, Newbury, 10am3pm. Mulled wine stalls, vegan cheese boards and ‘meat’ platters – plenty of festive food to get stuck into, alongside handmade and local artisan crafts and produce. Pick up a Newbury Vegan Trail Map to explore all things green and clean.
• Christmas Market, Douai Pavilion, Upper Woolhampton, 10am-4.30pm. Stalls, Santa’s grotto, refreshments. Entry £2. Raising funds for Naomi House and Douai Park Charities.
• Newtown Common Working Party, 10am-noon. Clearance of small scrub on the south side of Newtown Grange driveway. Meeting place: opposite post box on B4640 at 10am. Bring your own loppers or secateurs and gardening gloves (no power tools). Free refreshments. Please observe social distancing.
• Thorngrove School Christmas Fayre, Highclere, noon-5pm. Refreshments and gifts. Entry £3 for adults. Children free.
• Pottery Painting Afternoon, The Downs School, Compton, 2.30pm-4.30pm. Organised by the Friends of Downs, an afternoon of pottery painting with Blue Beetle Ceramics. £15 per person. To book a place email firstname.lastname@example.org Children welcome.
• Spring bulb planting, Old Hospital Green & City Recreation Ground, Andover Road, 10am-2pm. In support of the Puple4Polio initiative created by the Rotary Club of Great Britain.
• Inkpen Market, 10am-12.30pm.
• Tea dance, Royal British Legion, Pelican Lane, Newbury, 1.30pm-4pm . Ballroom, sequence and Latin. Entry £3. All welcome. Details call (01635) 47415.
• St Bartholomew's School Christmas Gift and Craft Fair, Buckingham Road, 11am-3pm. Variety of stalls, refreshments, lunch, tea and cake. Admission £2, concession £1, under 16 free.