Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Andrew Lloyd Webber 'heartbroken' at cancellation of Cinderella's London opening




Andrew Lloyd Webber has said he’s heartbroken at having to cancel yesterday’s (Monday) opening of Cinderella in the West End, due to a member of the cast testing positive to Covid.

Government guidelines force those coming into contact with anyone testing positive to self isolate for 10 days.

Rigorous testing had been employed from the outset. Negative tests were returned on backstage staff and on those identified as having close contact with the positive case – who was playing a cameo role. Additional PCR tests were carried out on those due to perform yesterday and those too were negative.

Lord Lloyd-Webber said in a statement: “Despite this, the impossible conditions created by the blunt instrument that is the Government’s isolation guidance, mean that we cannot continue. We have been forced into a devastating decision which will affect the lives and livelihoods of hundreds of people and disappoint the thousands who have booked to see the show.

“Cinderella was ready to go. My sadness for our cast and crew, our loyal audience and the industry I have been fighting for is impossible to put into words.

“Freedom Day has turned into closure day.”

On BBC Breakfast this morning he warned of the crisis faced by the industry, saying: “Theatre is on its knees.”



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More