Annual volunteer fair in Newbury today (Sat)
Run by the Volunteer Centre West Berkshire (VCWB), the event provides a perfect platform for charities and organisations to recruit budding new volunteers for the services they offer.
Representatives from more than 40 organisations will be on hand to answer questions about how you can get involved,. For the full list of those taking part today, please see the bottom of this article.
To add to the fun, each year the fair has a theme, with this year the event running under the title ‘West End musicals - the volunteering show must go on!’
Director of the volunteer centre, Garry Poulson, said: “It’s all about being involved, using your interests, your skills and passions that can be utilised by any one of the 41 organisations that are going to be there.
“It’s about going out and enjoying yourself, and that’s why we do the fair, to persuade people to come and get stuck in. It’s a real gateway for a different way of looking at the world.
“People are always impressed when they get there, they had no idea there were so many things that you could do.
“We are all touched in our lives by various issues and it’s so much better if you can say you have been involved and know what it’s about. It adds a different dimension to your life if you are making a contribution to the community of West Berkshire.
“I think if you can spare an hour on Saturday and pick up some information...people often have a perception of an organisation which is very different to what that organisation actually does.
“The fair is part of the West Berkshire calendar and organisations look forward to it.”
The event will run from 10am to 3pm at the Corn Exchange in Newbury Market Place, with free entry.
A fair is also being held in Thatcham in March, at a date yet to be confirmed.
Organisations attending are:
- Bus of Hope
- Duke of Edinburgh Awards
- West Berks Library
- Kennet District Scouts
-ABC to Read
- Young People and Children 1st
- West Berkshire Advocacy
- British Red Cross
- Guide Dogs
- National Childbirth Trust
- Handybus and Car Scheme Service
- Interakt Community Theatre and Arts Cic
- Patient Information Point
- Cold Ash Boys & Girls Football Club
- West Berkshire Cruse Bereavement Care
- National Needlework Archive
- West Berkshire Children Centres
- Cats Protection Newbury
- Circles South East
- Home Start
- Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service (RBFRS)
- Donnington Division Girlguiding
- Sandham Memorial Chapel Basildon Park
- Neighbourhood Watch
- The Kennet & Avon Canal Trust
- Friends of Newtown Road Cemetery
- Lions Club of Newbury
- West Berks Village Agent
- VCME Supported Volunteering
- West Berkshire Citizens Advice Bureau
- Newbury and Thatcham Green Gym
- Newbury Rotary Club
- Prior's Court
- Daisy's Dream
- Enrych Berkshire
- New Leaf Project
- Hoarding Disorders UK - Community Interest
- Restorative Justice Service West Berkshire