Council will “not lose sight” of resident's concerns amid Lawrences Lane development appeal
Town councilors have acknowledged that there are ongoing concerns with a travellers site development in Thatcham following its recent planning appeal.
The appeal was lodged on February 6, following a refused retrospective planning application late last year.
The plans, for seven static caravans, seven day rooms, seven touring caravans and associated works on land at the end of Lawrences Lane, were met with much criticism from both councillors and residents after the initial unauthorised development was spotted on August 13, 2021.
Following the appeal, Thatcham Town Council has, in a recent planning and highways committee meeting, noted the current status of the appeal process from a written statement from West Berkshire Council issued to the residents of Lawrences Lane.
In the statement, assurance was given that those who have made representations on the planning application will be formally notified of any details of the appeal process.
It also stated that the appeal is valid and has been allocated to an inspector where the appeal process will be determined and appeal documents will be made available for inspection on the council’s website.
In response to this news, councillor Richard Crumly (Con, Thatcham Central) said that the council would not “lose sight” of the issue.
He also told the chamber that a complaint had recently been made in a council surgery whereby a local resident said they could hear a generator making “unacceptable noise” from the site.
He said that the “problems are still there, it seems”.
In relation to the appeal, he added: “I understand it is going to public inquiry. We would have the opportunity to make comments in more detail.”