Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Family of four rescued from midnight house fire





The fire department saved a family who were trapped on their first floor by a fire caused by a dishwasher

A FAMILY of four were saved in a dramatic rescue by the fire department when a blaze, which started in their dishwasher, swept through their home early this morning (Friday) in Great Shefford.

The family were asleep in their home in Spring Gardens when they were woken by a fire alarm to find their home full of smoke. They then took refuge in a back room on the first floor.

The fire department received the call at 12.07am and sent three pumps to the scene, one each from Lambourn, Hungerford and one from Hampshire.

The family was rescued from the house using a triple extension ladder and were given oxygen to help them recover from smoke inhalation.

South Central Ambulance Service attended the scene, but no-one was taken to hospital.

Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman Nicole Target said: “The family left their dishwasher on when they went to bed, but it was faulty and caught fire. All the doors in the house were open, so the flames were able to progress through the house rapidly. Fortunately there was a fire alarm which woke them and allowed them to take refuge in the back of the house.

“It was a very quick rescue, because we knew exactly where the family were in the house.”



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More