Tadley firefighters tackle 'out of control' bonfire in Brimpton Common
Tadley Fire Station has issued a safety reminder over bonfires after being mobilised for one that had spread “out of control” in Brimpton Common this afternoon.
The force said that at just before 1.30pm this afternoon (Sunday, it had been mobilised to a bonfire that had spread out of control in the village, which is just west of Baughurst.
It extinguished the fire with a hosereel jet and drag forks.
Posting on Facebook, it reminded residents to follow the following safety tips when having their own bonfire:
- Build the bonfire away from other combustible materials such as buildings, sheds, fences, trees and overhead cables;
- Never use flammable liquids like paraffin or petrol to light the fire – it may get out of control quickly;
- Once the bonfire’s lit make sure you keep a bucket of water or garden hose nearby – in case of emergencies;
- Don’t leave the bonfire unattended;
- Keep children and pets away from the bonfire;
- Don’t burn aerosols, tyres, canisters or anything containing foam or paint – many produce toxic fumes and some containers may explode, causing injury; and
- Once the bonfire has died down, spray the embers with water to stop it from reigniting.