First Battle of Newbury remembered last night in minute silence on battle fields
Commemorations were paid last night to those lost at the First Battle of Newbury.
The anniversary of the battle fell yesterday, Monday, September 20.
Re-enactors took to the fields, where the battle took place and held a minute silence at dusk.
As the sun set, those present held the silence and remembered those who had fallen during the civil war battle.
Many gathered on the field and listened to words of remembrance.
Some had been out since the morning looking out for anyone dressed up in commemoration.
Re-enactors posed with their weapons and showed those who had gathered their props.
Dressed up in full period war outfits, accompanied with pikes and other props, residents lined up on Dark Lane.
Newbury man Martin Clayton remembers those lost every year and stands on the fields near Barn Crescent.
Sometimes he will talk to dog walkers and passers-by about the history that once took place there.
Mr Clayton has been a member of the English Civil War Society, Marquis of Winchester Regiment, for the past 19 years.
He said: “I stand roughly where Lord Falkland would have fallen through.
“I am paying respect to the six thousand who died at that time.”
He added: “Really it’s just because I love history and I live in Newbury.”
Another member of the English Civil War society, John Ruse, said: "We have done a few events in Newbury."
It was Mr Ruse who spoke out about Martin's yearly commemorations.
He said: "He has been doing it by himself for 10 years or more.
"It was something that creeped into his ethos, into his mind, it was right and proper that he go out and commemorate them.
"It snow balled as soon as you put the piece up; it went viral with the re-enactors."
Mr Ruse also added that this will be a silence that is observed every year, and he has hopes that attendance will only grow.
To find out more about the regiment that Martin is a part of visit: www.marquisofwinchesters.co.uk