go

Curridge pylon fused by squirrel

Squirrel dies in incident

Jane Meredith

Reporter:

Jane Meredith

Contact:

01635 886637

electricity pylon

A squirrel caused a Curridge pylon to fuse this morning (Monday).

One fire engine was called at 11am from Newbury Fire Station to Priors Court Road, after a pylon was heard to fuse with a loud bang and a loose electricity cable caused a small fire on a patch of grass below the pylon.

Firefighters discovered the grass fire out on arrival and a dead squirrel nearby, which the cause of the incident was put down to.

Firefighters made the scene safe, before handing the incident over to electricity board officials and departed after an hour and a half.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

Article comments

  • pamw1001

    11/07/2015 - 10:10

    I blame the parents! Didn't this squirrel's mum ever tell him not to play on pylons?

    Reply

News

Box clever and give big softie Rocky a champion home
News

Box clever and give big softie Rocky a champion home

Champion boxer Rocky is appealing for a knock-out home

 
Hermitage development is on hold as plan is rejected
News

Hermitage development is on hold as plan is rejected

Application for 37-home scheme in village branded 'disappointing' by planners

1comment

 
News

'Amazing' support for charity Christmas fair

 
News

Newbury explosions 'could have been catastrophic'

3comments

 
News

Serial shoplifter dodges prison yet again

13comments