Fri, 31 Jul 2015
The Royal Berkshire Hospital's A & E department has begun to receive ambulances again this evening (Friday), after declaring a major incident earlier today.
From 9pm this evening, the hospital has confirmed, its A & E department has been gradually re-opened to receive ambulances.
However the hospital remains on internal incident alert and is still under extreme pressure, according to a statement issued this evening by Mary Sherry, chief operating officer for Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust, who continued:
"We would ask the public to consider and only attend our A & E if critically ill.
I would like to extend a very big thankyou to all staff within the hospital and also all those who have assisted from South Central Ambulance Services and neighbouring hospitals."
The Reading hospital has said that following yesterdays flooding and power outage, followed by a small fire, only patients with "life-threatening conditions" will be accepted.
The hospital is asking members of the public to either attend an urgent care centre, a walk in centre or A&E at Wexham Park, Stoke Mandeville, Frimley or Basingstoke until the situation is resolved.
A total 89 patients have been safely moved from Battle Block, whilst work continues to restore power with additional temporary generators over the weekend.
Earlier today, the hospital confirmed water supplies had been restored across the hospital with the "majority of power" back on in North Block, but issues continued in Battle Block, due to the extent of the water damage.
The British Red Cross said earlier today on Twitter: "We are assisting at Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading, following a flood and fire yesterday. Team providing support to staff and patients."