Sat, 01 Aug 2015
The A & E department at the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading yesterday fully re-opened - but the hospital remains under extreme pressure today (Sun), with a continuing plea for anyone with non life-threatening concerns to seek alternatives.
This was after the hospital declared a major incident on Friday, following flooding in the basement last week, affecting electrical plant, resulting in power outages and a small fire.
Wards affected included the North Ward, providing critical care and the Battle ward, providing care for the elderly.
In a statement issued yesterday (Sat), Mary Sherry, chief operating officer for Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust, said:
"We can confirm that we have restored full power to Battle block and North block using temporary generators. These generators will remain in place until our main circuits/power boards are secure and fixed.
In a phased approach, we have started to return patients to Battle and North blocks.
Our A & E has now fully re-opened."
The hospital however, she continued, which remained on internal incident alert, was still "under extreme pressure,"
"We would urge people with non-emergency concerns to consider other suitable alternatives," she added.
Ms Sherry thanked staff, who over the last three days had been faced with "A number of challenging situations," she said, along with patients and relatives for "bearing with us during this time."
"We have really appreciated the help and support given to us by neighbouring hospitals, South Central Ambulance Service and the Red Cross," she said