Newbury News Ltd. Print-Digital-Social

Woman rescued from Newbury flat fire

93-year-old taken to hospital

John Herring

John Herring

john.herring@newburynews.co.uk

Contact:

01635 886633

Woman rescued from Newbury flat fire

A 93-year-old woman was rescued from a burning flat yesterday (Sunday).

Firefighters from Newbury and Kingsclere were called to Oddfellows Road, Newbury at 4.47pm. 

Watch manager at Newbury Fire Station, Steve Leonard, said that firefighters treated the lady at the scene until an ambulance arrived. 

He added that she was taken to hospital with smoke inhalation. 

Mr Leonard said there was a lot of smoke in the flat, with four firefighters wearing breathing masks going into the smoke logged room.

He said that an accidental kitchen fire had been the cause of the blaze.

He advised people to not fight fires themselves; instead focusing on exiting the building safely. 

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000