Sat, 14 Nov 2015
A chimney fire in Great Shefford this afternoon (Sat) has triggered safety advice for those with open fires from Newbury firefighters.
One pump was called at mid-day from Newbury Fire Station, to a semi detached house in The Mead, where a chimney fire was mostly out on arrival.
Firefighters used rods with a hose reel attached to ensure the fire was fully extinguished, before departing at 3pm.
Firefighters have issued the following safety advice to those with open fires: ensure the chimney has been swept before lighting autumn/winter fires and use appropriate materials as fuel, ideally dry wood purchased from a reputable outlet.