Wed, 09 Dec 2015
WEST Berkshire Council has bowed to public pressure by extending the deadline for people to comment on the Sandleford Park application.
The council had came under fire for only allowing the public 30 days to have their say on how they would be affected by the proposals to build up to 2,000 homes and two new two-form entry primary schools.
Today (Wednesday) the council said it would be extending the deadline to January 29 to “allow more people to comment and get their heads around” the application.
It added that it changed the original deadline of December 22 because “on this occasion we wanted to allow more flexibility”.
Earlier this week the council was forced to defend itself over the timing of three major public consultations, describing accusations that it deliberately held them over the busy Christmas period as “nonsense”.
Speaking about the decision, Councillor Alan Law, Executive Member for Planning, said: "Since we published the application last week we've been told by local people that they need more time to read all the documents, understand what is proposed and comment on what is a significant development for the area.
"We've listened to those voices and we have now allowed four more weeks - well into the New Year - for people to tell us their thoughts."
To comment on the plans visit http://publicaccess.westberks.gov.uk/online-applications/ and type in the reference 15/02300/OUTMAJ
For more reaction, see this week's Newbury Weekly News, out tomorrow.