Newbury News Ltd. Print-Digital-Social

Chimney fire at Bradfield house spreads to roof

Firefighters from several local stations battle blaze

Jane Meredith

Jane Meredith


01635 886637

Chimney fire at Bradfield house spreads to roof

A CHIMNEY fire at a Bradfield house spread to the roof this afternoon (Tues), forcing an elderly couple to seek alternative accommodation.

Firefighters were called at around 4pm from stations including Newbury , Tilehurst and Whitley Wood, to a chimney fire at a house in Bishops Road, Tutts Clump, with a slate roof. 

Neighbour, Tim Wale, the managing director of Tutts Clump Cider, who was at the scene, said an elderly couple at the property were shocked, but unhurt, after the fire broke out in the roof space of the house. 

"The roof was more or less destroyed and the house water damaged," said Mr Wale, adding the firefighters' swift action had saved the rest of the property.

The couple, he said, were staying in a vacant neighbours' house overnight.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000