go

Thatcham household's lucky escape after chimney fire

Regular chimney sweeping advised as safety measure

Jane Meredith

Reporter:

Jane Meredith

Contact:

01635 886637

chimney smoke

FIREFIGHTERS battled a chimney fire for five hours at a detached house in Thatcham on Tuesday (Jan 26).

Two pumps were called at 10.30am to the property in Henwick Lane, where smoke was discovered billowing from the chimney pot.

Firefighters removed burnt wood from the fireplace, before extinguishing the blaze, after they had rodded the chimney with specialist equipment.

Two adults evacuated the property before firefighters arrived.

No-one was hurt.

Firefighters left the scene at 3.30pm, before returning to the scene at 8pm to make a further inspection. 

Firefighters afterwards issued safety advice to the general public on the importance of having chimneys regularly swept.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

News

Brave teen battling kidney disease presents Rosemary Appeal donation
News

Brave teen battling kidney disease presents Rosemary Appeal donation

“It’s our charity of choice as most people have been touched by cancer in some way"

 
Fresh plans for 1,000 homes at Sandleford Park submitted
News

Developers still confident Sandleford scheme will go ahead

Two parties say they are moving away from stalemate and hope to sign agreement

 
All Districts

Countdown to racing's Winter Carnival

 
News

West Berkshire Council to launch a Tweetathon

1comment

 
News

Four men charged following illegal rave in Burghfield