Tue, 24 May 2016
A SURVIVOR of a horrific crash on the A34 at Newbury has said he was ‘dumped’ at a nearby service station by police, with no money and no phone battery, despite being in a state of shock.
At around 6.30pm on Saturday, May 14, a red Mitsubishi Evo broke down on the southbound carriageway, near to the A4 junction at Newbury.
Two men got out to check what was wrong, switched on their hazard lights and placed a nearby cone behind the car, to warn passing traffic.
With both men standing at the bonnet, a silver Range Rover then crashed into the back of the car.
The men, driver Lewis Haines and passenger Lewis Jones, both from Havant, were sent flying into the air and Mr Haines hit the barrier fence.
He was airlifted to the John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, where he remains with a fractured shoulder blade and cuts and bruises.
However, it was a different story for his passenger, Mr Jones, who was left at Tot Hill Services by the emergency services, with no battery on his mobile phone and no money despite, he says, banging his head on the bonnet during the crash.
Mr Jones told the Newbury Weekly News: “I should have been treated. I was in a state of shock.
“I spoke to one of the traffic officers, who said ‘I will see what I can do but I don’t think on a Saturday night I can get you a lift home’.
“I got dropped off at Tot Hill Services and I had no money and no battery.
“The McDonald’s staff gave me a charger and the lady was kind enough to give me a cheeseburger.
“I just broke down and didn’t know what was happening.”
The driver’s father, David Haines, said that he, too, was “disgusted” that Mr Jones had been abandoned and was also critical of the lack of contact after the collision.
He said: “I am quite disgusted because the police hadn’t contacted us until (Sunday).
“We didn’t know anything, the police didn’t tell us anything.
“I made a phone call to my son’s phone and the paramedic in the air ambulance answered it because it said ‘Dad’.”
Mr Haines, who is still recovering in hospital, said on Facebook after the crash: “Thank you everyone for lovely comments, has taken me a long while to get through a lot of the posts.
“I am really surprised I’m still here and all the doctors and nurses say I’m one lucky man.”
Several motorists have since taken to social media to raise concerns about the safety of the stretch of road at the site of the collision.
One, Kevin Nape, said on Facebook: “The A4 junction with the A34 is a disgrace, the slip-roads are about 50 metres long and leave drivers little room for error.
“Thank god the guy survived and I wish him a speedy recovery.”
Another, Beverley Harrad, said: “Hope he has a quick recovery.
“Very lucky, that road is so dangerous.”
Sarah Hughes agreed: “That road is terrible.
“Thoughts are with the family wishing him a speedy recovery.”
It has since emerged that Thames Valley Police are now investigating reports of careless driving against the driver of the Range Rover.
When asked to comment on the criticisms, a spokesperson said: “TVP is unable to respond to complaints made through the media.
“All complaints regarding service received from the police are taken extremely seriously and any concerns can be raised with our Professional Standards Department.”
Photo credit: Newbury Fire Station.