go

Cooker fire in Donnington almshouses

Slow cooker left on hob accidental cause

Jane Meredith

Reporter:

Jane Meredith

Contact:

01635 886637

Cooker fire in Donnington almshouses

A SLOW cooker left on top of a hob was the accidental cause of a fire in Donnington almshouses this morning (Monday).

One pump from Newbury Fire Station was called at 9.15am to the almshouses at the old Donnington hospital, in the Oxford Road.

Firefighters found a slow cooker had been set ablaze on a hob, after the wrong ring had been switched on.

The slow cooker then accidentally heated up, activating a smoke alarm.

The fire had already been extinguished when firefighters arrived.

No-one was hurt.

The cooker hob was damaged in the incident.

Firefighters left after half an hour.

Firefighters afterwards issued a reminder to make sure life saving smoke alarms were in good working order, including the batteries and not to leave items on cooker hobs.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

News

Man jailed following suicide attempt drama
News

Man jailed following suicide attempt drama

Peter Kelly abused would-be rescuer, court told

 
"Offensive" objections to muslim centre plans
News

"Offensive" objections to muslim centre plans

"It’s a sad representation of Newbury"

 
News

Pupils faint during half-hour assembly

1comment

 
All Districts

Help find Geordie

 
News

Overnight closures for M4 this weekend