go

Fire safety advice after Newbury chip pan blaze

Man taken to hospital with burns

Jane Meredith

Reporter:

Jane Meredith

Contact:

01635 886637

Fire safety advice after Newbury chip pan blaze

FIREFIGHTERS have issued fire safety advice after a chip pan fire in Newbury yesterday (Sunday) evening following which a man was taken to hospital suffering from burns.

Two fire engines including one from Newbury and another from Hungerford were called at 8pm to a ground floor flat at Redfield Court, a road situated off London Road.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the blazing chip pan in the kitchen using a hosereel.

One man was taken to hospital suffering from burns and a second man was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

The kitchen was 75 per cent destroyed in the fire and the property was smoke damaged.

Other residents of the two-storey building, an end terrace, were evacuated and the road was closed during the incident.

Firefighters left the scene at 10.30pm but afterwards issued fire safety advice including never put water on a chip pan blaze - this will result in a flash blaze likely to engulf the room.

Do not attempt to move any burning chip pan, instead get out of the building as fast as possible and call the emergency/fire service.

PHOTOGRAPH ROYAL BERKSHIRE FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICE 

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

News

Help find Geordie
All Districts

Help find Geordie

Lost Lurcher in Silchester

 
Overnight closures for M4 this weekend
News

Overnight closures for M4 this weekend

Local roads will also be closed to allow the bridge work to be carried out

 
News

Brave teen battling kidney disease presents Rosemary Appeal donation

1comment

 
News

Developers still confident Sandleford scheme will go ahead

1comment

 
All Districts

Countdown to racing's Winter Carnival