Newbury News Ltd. Print-Digital-Social

Woman thrown into air after shock from power lines on A339 near Kingsclere

Lorry driver receives burns after vehicle comes into contact with live wires

Jane Meredith

Jane Meredith


01635 886637


A WOMAN was thrown into the air and suffered burns after a shock from power lines in an A339 incident near Kingsclere this morning (Monday).

South Central Ambulance Service spokesman David Gallagher said they were called at 8.35am to an incident in a layby off the A339 at Pitchorn Farm, in Newbury Road, after the HGV driver, a woman, stopped in the layby and the vehicle came into contact with live wires, resulting in an electric shock 

"The patient was a 44-year-old female who had been thrown into the air by the shock and had burns/injuries to her right hand." said Mr Gallagher.

A passing motorist has since commented that the extended tipper of the lorry had come into contact with the live wires.

The woman was taken to Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital, after the ambulance service sent a paramedic and a rapid response vehicle to the scene.

Immediately following the incident, a total 442 properties in Kingsclere and neighbouring Headley villages were without electricity. 

A spokeswoman for Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN), issued the following statement: "SSEN were alerted to an incident at 8.28am today on the A339 Newbury Road after a third party's vehicle had come into contact with an overhead line.

"As a result, 442 customers in the Kingsclere area were without power.

"Engineers from SSEN were able to restore supplies to all but 96 customers in just over one hour, with the remainder back on supply by 12.06pm."

The area was made safe by SSEN engineers.

Firefighters were called to the scene at 8.30am, including from Newbury and Hampshire.

Police were also in attendance. 

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

Article comments

  • NoisyNortherner

    21/02/2017 - 10:05

    She's bloody lucky to be alive after a shock from overhead power cables.