go

Firefighters sent in to building society in Newbury this afternoon (Monday)

Three fire engines deployed to Northbrook Street

John Herring

Reporter:

John Herring

Contact:

01635 886633

Firefighters sent in to building society in Newbury this afternoon (Monday)

An electrical fire was the cause of firefighters being sent in to a building society in Newbury's high street today (Monday).

Three fire engines were dispatched to Northbrook Street at 3.08pm following reports of a smell of burning coming from Nationwide. 

Firefighters entered the building and discovered that an overhead light fitting had overheated and burnt itself out.

Watch manager Phil Knight said: "Their alarms had gone off and there was light smoke and the smell of burning going through the building."

He added that sending three fire engines was a normal response to the incident that had reported to the fire service.

Firefighters made the building safe and left after 45 minutes. 

(Pictures sent in by Thomas Hutchings and Murray Collier on Twitter)

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

News

Second M4 crash near Chieveley today
News

Second M4 crash near Chieveley today

Delays expected until 7pm

1comment

 
Town centre café to launch new gluten-free menu
News

Town centre café to launch new gluten-free menu

Eaterie caters for people with coeliac disease, who cannot eat food containing gluten

4comments

 
News

New floodlights at Victoria Park tennis courts to switch on next week

3comments

 
News

Newbury schoolgirls star in House of Fraser Christmas ad

4comments

 
News

Free Little Library launched in Newbury

4comments