go

Family evacuate home following fire

Newbury firefighters issue advice in run-up to Christmas

John Herring

Reporter:

John Herring

Contact:

01635 886633

Fire; firefighters; fire engine

A family in Newbury had to evacuate their home following a kitchen fire this morning (Sunday).

Firefighters from Newbury were called to the property in Stroud Green at 7am.  

Watch manager Leonard at Newbury fire station said that the family-of-three had evacuated the house after being woken by their smoke alarm.

He said that the fire was quite large but had been confined to the kitchen. 

He added that an electrical fault on a slow cooker had sparked the fire.

Mr Leonard urged people to test their smoke alarms, especially in the run-up to Christmas.

Firefighters left the scene at 8.30am. 

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

News

Record £2million surplus from parking charges and fines
News

Record £2million surplus from parking charges and fines

All money made is reinvested in transport schemes, says West Berkshire Council

1comment

 
Time to Talk opens new hub in Thatcham
News

Time to Talk opens new hub in Thatcham

Youth counselling charity expands thanks to grant from Santander

 
News

More council cuts need to be made this year

 
News

Knacker's yard and carcass incinerator gets go-ahead

2comments

 
News

Funeral of "hugely respected" policeman to be held in Pangbourne this week