Newbury News Ltd. Print-Digital-Social

Benyon: "Prime Minister has my full support"

Newbury MP backs Theresa May amid talk of leadership contest and no confidence vote

Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper

dan.cooper@newburynews.co.uk

Westminster Blog: We can end rough sleeping

NEWBURY MP Richard Benyon has given his full support to Prime Minister Theresa May and says he believes a leadership contest would be "a great mistake".

It has been a turbulent few days for Mrs May since her draft Brexit plan was agreed by a split Cabinet on Wednesday, with a number of resignations and talk of a no confidence vote.

But Mr Benyon says he is backing the PM.

Speaking to the NWN today (Friday), Mr Benyon said: “I think a leadership contest is quite possible, but I think that would be a great mistake.

“I think she is showing remarkable resilience it what was always going to be a very difficult job to do and I am giving her my full support.

“She can be sure of my support.”

Speaking about the draft Brexit deal, he said: “I am not going to comment on it properly until I have read it all, which is difficult because I’m in Canada at the moment.

“But I’ve been sent part of it and from what I have read I think it is a deal which will please the majority of people who voted leave and those who voted remain but now accept we are going to leave.

“I think it addresses the concerns from the referendum in regards to free movement issues and fisheries and agriculture.

“I think it is a deal that I am happy to support. I think it would be the kind of future agreement with Europe that we can expect.

“I can’t comment on whether the deal will get through Parliament, but I think people just need to calm down a bit and look at the alternatives.

"These include a no deal Brexit or could be something that does not address the chief concerns of the 52 per cent who voted to leave in the referendum.

“One comment I will make was when the [draft Brexit] deal was struck and it looked like it would get through Parliament, the value of the pound soared. Now we are going through this period of uncertainty and it has fallen again.

"Some of my colleagues need to look at the authentic voice of the people who are making a real investment in our economy and not be too rigid in securing the ideological Brexit they want to see.

"A no deal Brexit, I think, would be very bad.

“If we were just to crash out of the EU on March 29 next year without any caveats or arrangements in place, that would not be something I’d want to see.”

• Justin S

16/11/2018 - 19:07

Benyon who ?

• NewburyLad

16/11/2018 - 15:03

Well he would, wouldn't he. He's a remainer.

• Rebecca

16/11/2018 - 15:03

As a person who strongly supports Remain and has campaigned for it I conclude that this draft document may be the best we can get, we have very few cards to play. I suppose extreme Brexiters think our country could succeed on the basis of Empire 2.0, but these Brexiters need to remember that in Africa there are 64 countries their total GDP is one quarter that of France.

• dazzer

18/11/2018 - 07:07

We have a constitution which states we should not be ruled by foreign powers. All who give our country away are guilty of high treason. It all started with Edward Heath.

20/11/2018 - 12:12

It is this type of comment that makes people think a lot of Brexiteers are a bit dim-witted. At the very least you have missed an opportunity to substantiate how we are ruled by foreign powers, which may have lent your rantings a semblance of credence. Nevermind, my search for a reason why Brexit isn't a turd of an idea goes on.

• dazzer

25/11/2018 - 08:08

In Theresa Mays letter addressed to the nation "British public to back deal" she says " "And we will take back control of our laws, by ending the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice in the UK. "In future, our laws will be made, interpreted and enforced by our own courts and legislatures". A semblance of credence enough for you???? Listen you dim witted remainer/traitor....... if someone or a country is making your laws they rule you. People like you who hide behind a keyboard, being rude and insulting are cowards.....You are a coward and a traitor!

• paulGT11

16/11/2018 - 14:02

Nice to see Mr. Benyon is on holiday at a critical time for government. Good timing!