Reading Magistrates' Court: Newbury man accused of schoolgirl kidnap attempt
A MAN accused of trying to abduct a schoolgirl has appeared in court.
In the dock at Reading Magistrates' Court on Wednesday, May 12, was Omar Okeive Brown.
The 39-year-old, who lives at Oxford Road in Newbury, faces two charges resulting from the incident, said to have happened at a bus stop in Purley.
In the first instance, Mr Brown is accused of attempted kidnapping.
He is said to have committed the offence shortly after 8.45pm after he got out of his car and approached the child, who is aged under 16 years and can not be named.
Mr Brown also faces an alternative charge of trying to take a child so as to remove her from the lawful control of her mother, a person having lawful control of the child.
Mr Brown, who was legally represented at the preliminary hearing, spoke only to confirm his details and to deny both charges.
The offences were said to have happened on August 7 last year and the alleged victim was not known to him, the court heard.
Matthew Gauntlett, prosecuting, told magistrates that the attempted kidnapping offence was so serious that the law states it can only be tried by a judge and jury sitting at a crown court.
Magistrates committed both matters to Reading Crown Court for trial on a date to be fixed.
A preliminary hearing is scheduled for June.
Mr Brown was meanwhile released on unconditional bail.