Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Newbury firefighters prevent fire spreading at Cheap Street Chinese takeaway






According to Richard Young the watch manager of Green Watch, two crews from Newbury Fire Station were called at 3.44pm to the Lotus Garden, Cheap Street, following a fire in an extraction unit.
“Staff got distracted while cooking and left a pan, which heated up and ignited, then spread to the extraction unit,” said Mr Young.
Firefighters prevented the fire spreading further and to the roof of the property, which suffered water damage in the kitchen and has been temporarily closed as a result.
Three adults and one child on the premises, who were evacuated by firefighters, were unhurt.
The extraction unit was removed for further checks by the fire service.
Mr Young said the fire safety message from the incident was, when cooking, particularly with oil, and distracted - for example by someone at the door - turn the heat off before leaving the room.
The incident was closed by the fire service at 4.30pm.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More