Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Newbury's Balloon Festival at Showground called off



More news, no ads

LEARN MORE


After weeks of speculation and rumour it has been confirmed that the Newbury Balloon Festival at Newbury Showground has been called off.

The Newbury and District Agricultural Society made the announcement yesterday (Tuesday) that the three-day event from Friday July 17 at Newbury Showground booked by event organiser Richard Garvie was cancelled, because the terms and conditions were not met, including payment for the hire.

The Society’s chief executive Daren Bowyer said it had not received evidence of appropriate insurance for the event.

He said: “Both we and the West Berkshire Council emergency management and highways departments were concerned that the emergency and traffic management plans for the event were inadequate.

“We obviously have a responsibility to ensure that any event held on our showground poses no safety risks to participants and spectators and that it does not cause nuisance to our neighbours in the wider community.

“None of those concerns had been satisfied and in the circumstances we have no choice but to cancel this booking.

“We obviously regret any disappointment this may cause to those who may have been looking forward to the event.”

Meanwhile, the Facebook page for the event stated last night that the festival would now be held at Northcroft Park and that "Frozen Tickets remain valid" and "Parking only tickets will be refunded."

For the full story pick up a copy of this week's Newbury Weekly News.

Have you already booked your ticket? Were you looking to set up your stall at the event? Get in touch via william.walker@newburynews.co.uk



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More