go

Goring Primary School evacuated after small fire at nearby substation

Forty seven homes left without power

Chris Ord

Reporter:

Chris Ord

Contact:

01635 886639

Fire; firefighters; fire engine

PUPILS from Goring C of E Primary School were evacuated earlier today following a small fire at a nearby electrical substation.


The Wallingford Road school was closed as a precaution after a fuse was tripped causing a 'loud noise' at the substation in Elvendon Road.


Forty seven customers, including the school, were left without power as a result of the incident.


A spokesperson for Oxfordshire County Council said: “Fire crews attended to reports of a small fire next to Goring Primary School at around 10.30am.


“Crews from Wallingford and Didcot were in attendance.


“However when they arrived the fire was already out.


“Firefighters made sure the scene was safe before leaving it in the hands of Southern Electric.


“The school was evacuated for a brief time as a precaution.”


A spokeswoman for Southern Electric confirmed that power had since been restored to all customers apart from the school.


No one was injured in the incident.


She added: “Our engineers were called to the substation at 10.33 this morning after a fuse had tripped causing a loud noise. 

"All customers are now back online other than the school which we hope to have resolved this afternoon.

"We would like to apologise to our customers and thank them for their patience while power was being restored.”

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

News

Work starts to demolish iconic Newbury building
News

Council 'wins' £1.5m for Sterling Cables site

Government cash assists decontamination and makes plan viable

 
Madison and Beth's posters will help keep our waterways clean
News

Madison and Beth's posters will help keep our waterways clean

St Joseph's Primary School pupils' artwork will encourage people not to drop litter along the canals

 
News

Newbury diamond couple say that 60 years have ‘gone so quickly’

 
News

A hat-trick for local children's charity

 
News

Woman jailed for shoplifting