Newbury News Ltd. Print-Digital-Social

Major incident at Didcot Power station

One dead and three missing after building collapses

Chris Ord


01635 886639

Major incident at Didcot Power station

EMERGENCY services have declared a major incident at Didcot Power Station following the collapse of a building.

One person has died while four people have been taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford, two with serious injuries.

Three more people are unaccounted for, Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service has confirmed.

A further 40 people were treated at the scene for dust inhalation.

It has been reported that workers were preparing boilers for demolition, which led to the building to collapse.

The incident at the decommissioned Didcot A station in Oxfordshire occurred just after 4pm when eye witnesses reported a loud bang and a large cloud of smoke.

Fire crews, police and paramedics are currently at the scene.

Deputy Chief Fire Officer Nathan Travis said: “It is with great sadness that I have to confirm one person has died during this incident. Our priority now is to find the three missing people.

“The search will be a considerable undertaking due to the instability of the site. We expect the search will continue through the night and possibly into the coming days.

“There is Specialist Rescue and Command Support Units, and Urban Search and Rescue Units from Buckinghamshire, Hampshire, and West Midlands at the scene, including search dogs. The fire service is being supported by South Central Ambulance Service and Thames Valley Police.

“Dust from the collapse covered a considerable area but I would like to reassure the public there were no hazardous materials within the building, but we would advise local residents to remain inside, keeping doors and windows closed.

“Anyone concerned about dust inhalation should call NHS on 111.

“I would like to confirm that this is not believed to be a terrorist incident.”

There are two air ambulances, four specialist Hazardous Area Response Team vehicles and six ambulances at the scene.

The following number has been set up for concerned relatives 0121 3252424.

The coal-fired power station is due for demolition however it is understood that no works were due to be carried out today.

The station was closed in March 2013 following 43 years of service followed by the demolition of three of the six cooling towers in July 2014.

More to follow...

Picture courtesy of BBC

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000