go

Green light for A4 cycle route upgrades

First stage of £1.1m scheme backed by council

Green light for A4 cycle route upgrades

THE first stage of a project to upgrade cycle and pedestrian routes between Newbury and Reading has been given the go-ahead.

The council said that the aim of the £1.1m scheme was to make it safer and more enjoyable for cyclists to travel between the two towns.

The first phase will see £350,000 spent on works to introduce cycle lanes on the carriageway and widening and resurfacing sections of pavement to create a shared space for pedestrians and cyclists.

Removing signs and relocating lampposts and bus shelters, upgrading crossing points and creating additional ones are also included.

The scheme is being funded through a £1.1m grant from the Thames Valley Berkshire Local Enterprise Partnership.

Following feedback from residents and road users, the council made some minor amendments to the scheme.

The council received 55 responses, with 23 people expressing support and 12 saying they were not supportive.

The project was approved by the council’s executive member for highways, Jeanette Clifford (Con, Northcroft) yesterday (Wednesday).

Mrs Clifford said: “These improvements will make it even easier to travel between Newbury, Thatcham and Reading by bike.

“The journey will be safer and more enjoyable and I hope it will encourage more people to venture out on their bikes.

“The benefits will not just be enjoyed by cyclists. It’s good for everyone when people get out of their cars and choose to cycle or walk instead.”

The scheme supports Newbury Vision 2026 and its focus on improving cycling participation and the development of cycle paths throughout the area.

A report on the project and further information can be read at http://decisionmaking.westberks.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=158&MId=4487&Ver=4

• Oldmoaner

16/11/2017 - 18:06

Once again we can waste money on idealistic projects which are a complete waste of money unless they can be enforced. If we do this sort of thing there should be enforced laws covering there use. I see selfish idiots every day going up Pyle Hill and Pinchington Lane when they have cycle lanes provided. As with other road users there are those who respect other people and those who have their own all for me mind set so we have to have enforcement to make them comply, sad people. So WBC unless you are going to come up with enforcement spend our money on schools, and try and educate people to think of others.

16/11/2017 - 19:07

How many times does it need to be explained to people like you why people on bikes don't use the infrastructure? If you can't exert a bit of patience get off the road, you're not safe.

• Oldmoaner

16/11/2017 - 22:10

yes I was talking about people like you I have managed to ride a bike for 70 Years. But you will never have to worry as long as your alright. Your infrastructure nearly got my son killed. I have the patience, skill and time. What I do not have time for are people who think they know it all and use their own views purely for their own selfish reasons, and Newbury has more than its share of those with all road users whatever transport. All you need is respect and common sense,

17/11/2017 - 13:01

Didn't you brand people deciding to cycle up Pyle Hill and Pinchington Lane on the road as 'selfish idiots'? Hardly the rantings of someone with ample patience wouldn't you agree? When it comes to your driving I suspect you're suffering from illusory superiority. A decline in motoring skill will happen with age, that'll happen to us all but it is a bit scary that you don't recognise your limitations when in charge of something so lethal - the closest most people get to killing someone is getting in their car each day and very few recognise this and motor around with a level of self entitlement that is dangerous to other, especially, vulnerable road users.

• Oldmoaner

17/11/2017 - 14:02

what a really sad person this is, if you do not agree with his selfish all about him your wrong welcome to his world.

17/11/2017 - 16:04

You got called out for calling people that dare delay you for a few seconds selfish idiots and called for the need to enforce cyclists to use what is usually wholly inadequate cycle infrastructure, despite calling for respect between road users. I then made the irrefutable point that the danger on the roads are cars and so motorists should bear more responsibility (a bit like cyclists on shared use paths because of the damage they can inflict on pedestrians). My world in which significant investment is made in segregated cycle infrastructure is a lot more pleasant than yours, unless of course you think Newbury would be improved by yet more cars.

• Tommy

17/11/2017 - 18:06

My dad's bigger than your dad !

• SexyNewburyCop

27/11/2017 - 15:03

Tell me about it...can barely walk in the morning ;)

• biggus_richus

17/11/2017 - 09:09

Respect and common sense is why decent cycling infrastructure is needed in the first place!

• Littlegos

16/11/2017 - 11:11

Waste of tax payers money

• rach1978

16/11/2017 - 11:11

A lot of the cycle lane *is* on the road. Pavements are for pedestrians and, 99% of the time, are not sensible to ride on for cyclists. Government guidance is that vehicles going over 18mph should be on the road, not on the pavement. My commutes to work (which partially uses the A4) average close to 22mph (with the A4 part largely averaging around 25mph). I've had three accidents on my bike in Newbury - all three have been when "bonehead" motorists have driven into me when crossing pavement cycle lanes without looking. And yes, I'm a motorist as well.

• rach1978

16/11/2017 - 11:11

I should have said my response was to "Basher"'s ignorant comment below.

• Basher

16/11/2017 - 10:10

............bet there will still be the boneheads who insist on riding on the road .

16/11/2017 - 11:11

I'll still be using the road because I pay just as much towards the roads as everyone else despite causing less damage to them. Also, I very much suspect that this infrastructure will be rubbish and continue to give priority to motorists. Also given the speed I can cycle at, it isn't safe to mix with pedestrians. So, if you can't manage your emotions whilst being 'delayed' by a cyclist for a few seconds then you're not a fit person to be in charge of a tonne of killing machine - have a word with yourself!

News

Man is jailed for burglary
News

Man is jailed for burglary

'the courts take a dim view of those who make the decision to commit these offences'

Teen motorist led police on car chase to avoid drugs bust
News

Teen motorist led police on car chase to avoid drugs bust

Andrew Owen fled, leaving his girlfriend to face the music

News

Winners of Best Dressed Christmas Window announced

News

CCTV images released of missing Thatcham man

News

Man accused of killing Thatcham woman dies in custody