Sat, 24 Feb 2018
Newbury firefighters were called out to a "quirky" job last night - to pop a balloon stuck in a chimney.
Crews from Newbury were called to a house in Kings Road West at around 7.30pm on Friday.
Crew manager Mike Wilson said there was quite a lot of smoke in the property when they arrived.
After removing the fire from the hearth the firefighters discovered the cause of the blockage, a pink helium balloon that had become wedged in the chimney.
Mr Wilson said that "a devious plan" was constructed to pop the balloon by inserting a water rescue pole down the chimney.
He said that the occupants, a couple of children and a woman, had safely left the smokey property, which had not been damaged.
"It's a first one for us," Mr Wilson said.