Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Pangbourne deaths: murder probe launched

POLICE have launched a murder investigation following the deaths of two people in Pangbourne.

Thames Valley Police’s Major Crime Unit made the announcement following the death of a woman yesterday, Thursday, January 4.

Police near the murder scene
Police near the murder scene

At around 5.45pm, officers were called to a reported road traffic collision involving a Lexus vehicle on the A340 Tidmarsh Road at the junction with Flower’s Hill.

Within the vehicle, a 56-year-old woman had suffered a fatal stab wound.

She received medical attention but died at the scene.

Then, at around 6.15pm, Thames Valley Police and British Transport Police officers were called to a casualty on the railway track near Pangbourne.

It was announced today, Friday, that an 18-year-old man had died at the scene.

Neither victim has been formally identified but the next of kin for both have been informed and specially trained officers are supporting them.

The senior investigating officer and head of the major crime unit, Det Supt Kevin Brown, said: “We have launched a murder investigation after the death of a woman near Flower’s Hill, Pangbourne, and the associated discovery of a deceased man at Pangbourne railway station.

“Firstly, I would like to send my condolences on behalf of the force to loved ones of both at this extremely difficult time.

“We are in the very early stages of this complex investigation, but we are not currently looking for anyone else in connection with either death.

“We are still investigating but are treating the two deaths as linked; we are keeping an open mind as to the circumstances of each.

“There is no wider threat to the public from these sad and tragic incidents.

“We would ask anyone with information about the deaths to please call 101 or make a report on our website, quoting reference number 43240005369.

“After initial significant disturbance to the roads and railway network both scenes have been released and normal transport arrangements for both have resumed.

“I would like to say thank you to those affected for your patience.

“Members of the public are likely to see an increased police presence while we continue to investigate and we would advise anyone with any concerns to please speak to one of our uniformed officers.”

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More