Police announce surprise results of Hungerford High Street crash probe
POLICE have announced the results of their investigation into the horrific car crash that continues to cause High Street chaos.
Last December 13 a car careered into number 59, Snippit’s Barbers, at the top of High Street.
The driver was seriously injured and huge structural damage was caused to the building.
A doorbell camera video showed a woman and child narrowly avoiding almost certain death.
The two are seen standing outside the barber’s shop seconds before the horrific smash at that very spot.
Just as they moved on, the vehicle ploughed into the premises.
Residents were evacuated and a traffic light system was set up, which is there to this day.
The Newbury Weekly News asked Thames Valley Police how the investigation was going.
A spokesman replied that the case had been “filed.”
Asked to elaborate, he explained: “It means the investigation is complete, but no action has been taken.”
That outcome is likely to trigger a lively discussion at the next meeting of Hungerford Town Council’s highways and traffic committee meeting in November.
Meanwhile, as reported last week, fears have been expressed over the large cracks in the wall at the stricken building.
Town mayor Helen Simpson said they appeared to be getting bigger and expressed fears that winter frost could worsen them.
Pedestrians currently have to walk beneath them due to the pedestrian cordon put in place.
West Berkshire Council, the highways authority, has said in a statement: “The lane closure was expected to be in place for six to nine months.
“Since then, we understand the insurance companies involved have appointed a structural engineer, prepared structural reports, agreed the scope of the repairs and has been actively seeking to appoint a builder to complete the works.”
However, the statement conceded: “They have not yet been able to do so.
“We believe that the nature and location of the work has caused difficulties in finding a contractor willing to complete the work.
“We are assured that all efforts are being made to bring this to a conclusion as quickly as possible in order to completely reopen the road.
“This situation is out of the council's control and until the work can be arranged it is not possible to say how long the lane closure will in place.
“In the meantime, we would like to thank residents for their continued patience until this situation is resolved.”