Newbury News Ltd. Print-Digital-Social

Town do their worst

Thatcham Town 0 Brimscombe & Thrupp 4 By Geoff Ryan

Steve Ambrose

Steve Ambrose


07500 090960

Town do their worst

Thatcham Town 0 Brimscombe & Thrupp 4

By Geoff Ryan


THATCHAM put on one of their worst displays of the season when shipping four goals without reply against their relegation-threatened visitors to Waterside Park on Saturday.

Still missing player-manager Gareth Thomas and Mark Hughes from their back line, they allowed Brimscombe to allay their worries in a game that showed Town already in end of season mode as
Brimscombe completed the double in relatively easy manner, scoring twice in each half.

To add to Thatcham’s ills, skipper Yashwa Romeo saw his spot kick saved after 52 minutes to stymie any comeback hopes.

It took Thatcham 21 minutes to place a shot on target with Romeo ploughing a lone furrow up front before Chris Rackley kept out a shot from Sam Blackie five minutes later.

Chris Gerrard had a chance but shot weakly at visiting goalkeeper Danny Hobbs, and Marc
Thompson fired over the bar from 20 yards soon

Referee John Graham raised the hackles of home supporters after 43 minutes when Karl Nash was adjudged to have been pushed during a general wrestling bout in the area, and Ashley Caldwell beat Rackley from the spot.

Two minutes later the visitors doubled their
advantage when Nash found Ben Deakin to his left and his shot was blocked by Rackley and the ball pinged around off several pairs of legs before coming back for Deakin to slot home seconds before the
half-time whistle.

Thatcham won their chance to get back into it seven minutes after the re-start when Gerrard was pushed over but Romeo put his kick too close to Hobbs who pushed the ball away.

Aaron Nash put a chance wide before Brimscombe moved out of sight after 67 minutes when Jonny Davies split the defence to find Deakin and he made ground to find David Woodfield free at the far post to slot in number three.

The visitors wrapped up their comprehensive victory six minutes from time when substitute Ollie Pitt ran down the left to beat Rackley with a powerful cross-shot.

Thatcham Town: Rackley; Seward (Oakman), H. Baddeley, (Edwards), Voller, Browne; Parker, Gerrard, Stockwell, Thompson, Charlick (Mulvey); Romeo. Sub: Taplin. Referee: John Graham (Swindon). Attendance: 60.



Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000